Simplified Procurement Procedures
In accordance with the Procurement Policies and Procedures established by the University System of Maryland and implemented by UMBC, if a department has a requirement for a small dollar procurement of $25,000 or less, the following procedures apply. It is prohibited to intentionally split orders to avoid following the appropriate procurement procedures.
- Competition is not required but is encouraged.
- The VISA Purchasing Card (“P-Card”) must be used wherever possible in accordance with the Policies & Procedures governing the use of the P-Card. Confirming requisitions should be avoided.
- If the P-Card is not used, the request must be submitted to Procurement using a requisition for processing. Orders of this size will be processed within 24 hours of receipt in Procurement, unless there are terms and conditions to be reviewed and negotiated.
- Good business practices should be used at all times and include to compare pricing. Departments and/or Procurement may attempt to do so by doing the following:
- Contact a minimum of two vendors via telephone, fax or internet.
- Document for the record the pricing obtained (have the vendors fax quotation, print internet information, etc.).
- Make a note of additional pricing or attach documentation to requisition and forward to Procurement.
If you have any questions, contact the Department of Procurement on ext. 2273.